Two or three wheels? That is the question.
Posted on January 22, 2016 at 6:44 pm
What are the main differences between 2 and 3 wheelers? Which is better?
Once you have determined how you are going to use your cargo bike, here are some general recommendations to consider:
- generally offer more space in cargo box
- can climb uphill without having to worry about the balance
- have the added advantage of stability when stopping and starting: you never have to put your foot on the ground
- can be easily pushed in pedestrianised areas with all your children/ cargo inside
- are faster in frequent stop – start situations
- three-wheelers, especially Christiania bikes, have a tighter turning range than two-wheelers
- are generally faster, especially on longer distances
- handling is more similar to a conventional bicycle than that of a tricycle
- allow you to ride faster in corners
- are typically narrower, can therefore fit through a smaller gate, gap between two cars or be stored in a narrow space
As always, we encourage you to test ride and/or hire different cargo bikes so you can personally experience the handling. We have many models and years of experience matching customers with the best suited cargo bike for them.
Christiania Classic light with cream tyres
The EdgeRunner from XtraCycles